We partner with communities to explore possibilities, stimulate learning and discover creative solutions. We do this by creating a space to share stories, experiences and history in a way that fosters understanding and uncovers new insights.
Red Star’s services seek to create a shared purpose or vision, build on strengths, and translate innovative ideas into action.
Our resources are organized into the following categories:
Sustainable Systems Change
When solving complex challenges, Red Star works with organizations to better understand a system – people, processes, and context – to identify root causes and create lasting improvements.
• Becoming Butterfly: An emerging indigenous, community centered approach to strengthening tribal health systems through performance and leadership. Coming Soon
• Cultivating a Culture of High Performance and Quality: Lessons Learned from the Three Sisters – Corn, Beans and Squash, 2016., Seven Directions, A Center for Indigenous Public Health
• Tribal State Relations in Public Health: A Practice Brief Exploring Public Health Authority and the Value of Cross Jurisdictional Service Sharing, 2014
• Tribal Public Health Profile: Exploring Public Health Capacity in Indian Country, 2010 National Indian Health Board.
Community-Centered Program Design And Redesign
Community-centered programs and services that prioritize Indigenous knowledge in their development and implementation are more impactful and sustainable. We work with organizations to develop and evaluate programs and services based on cultural frameworks, behavior change theory and evidence-based practices.
• More Than the 5A’s: Implementing a Commercial Tobacco Cessation Intervention in Tribal Communities, 2014. Inter Tribal Council of Michigan, Inc.
• Implementing an Evidence-Based Tobacco Intervention, Practice Brief 2014
• Native American Sisters Informing Sisters: Talking, Educating and Reducing Risk (NA SISTER), 2012. HIV/AIDS Prevention Curriculum, Inter Tribal Council of Arizona, Inc.
Resource Development and Technical Assistance
Red Star is a national leader with extensive experience creating culturally and contextually relevant resources to create systemic change and improve performance.
• Territorial Public Health Performance and Accreditation 101, Association of State and Territorial Health Officials.
• Developing A Tribal Health Department Strategic Plan: A How-To Guide, Adapted from the National Association of County and City Health Officials.
• Tribal Community Health Assessment: A Practical Guide and Toolkit, Inter Tribal Council of Arizona